IPSMO stands in solidarity with ‘A Walk for Mother Earth’
June 15-22 – 8 days, 140km: The walk for a pipeline-free future continues…
From June 15th to June 22th, 2014, ‘A Walk For Mother Earth’ will continue the journey of ‘Peoples for Mother Earth’. They will be walking 140km over 8 days, from Kanehsatà:ke (or Hudson QC) to Ottawa ON, to continue efforts to oppose pipelines here and elsewheres.
On Sunday June 22nd, at 2:00pm, we will stand together on Parliament Hill in a welcoming of the walkers and to show our solidarity with all peoples working towards a pipeline-free future across North America.
*Note: there will also be a meet up point, 1:00pm at Rivierain Park (SW corner of Montreal Rd and North River Rd, just before the bridge to Rideau St), to join in with the walkers for the final 3km of the walk.
The walk originated as the “People for Mother Earth”, that began May 10th in Cacouna QC and is planned to finish on June 14th in Kanehsatà:ke. This walk, carried out by citizens of Quèbec, consisted of an average of 20 km a day for 34 days. It began at the site of a proposed TransCanada seaport export station, and followed the route of the proposed TransCanada Energy East pipeline to Montreal, and then the route of the already-approved Enbridge Line 9 pipeline to Kanehsatà:ke. The walkers stop each day to connect with communities in an important mobilization against pipelines and fossil fuel exploitation.
For more information on the original “Peoples For Mother Earth” walk, please consult:
The Walk Continues…
A new group of citizens decided to continue the walk to Ottawa and Parliament Hill. The new walk will start in Kanehsatà:ke with a conference, celebration, and a ‘passing of the torch’ ceremony on June 14th starting at 10am. (click here for the June 14th event details on Facebook)
Here is the itinerary of the stops along the route, along with a link to an interactive map:
- June 15th – Kanehsatà:ke/Hudson QC to Rigaud, QC
You can meet up with the walkers (around) noon at the ‘Traverse Oka’ HUDSON ferry terminal: 158 Main, Hudson, (Québec) J0P1H0
Or, the walk will arrive at 6pm at: L’Édifice Paul-Brasseur: 10 Rue St. Jean-Baptiste Est, Rigaud, QC
- June 16th – Rigaud, QC to St. Eugène, ON
Will be staying at St. Eugène ON- Centre Communautaire: 1123 Rue Labrosse St. Eugène, ON
- June 17th – St. Eugène, ON to Vankleek Hill, ON
Will be staying at Vankleek Hill Anglican Church- 5845 Church St. Vankleek Hill, ON
- June 18th – Vankleek Hill, ON to Alfred, ON
Will be staying at Alfred Recreation Centre-555 St. Philippe St. Alfred ON
- June 19th – Alfred, ON to Plantagenet, ON
Will be staying at Plantagenet-Centre de l’amour: 225 Rd. 21 Plantagenet, ON
- June 20th – Plantagenet, ON to Clarence-Rockland, ON
Will be staying at Clarence-Rockland: Rockland Arena (Jean-Marc Lalonde Arena)-1450 Park Ave. Rockland, ON
- June 21st – Clarence-Rockland to Orléans, ON
Will be staying at Ressurection Lutheran Church: 1325 Gaultois Ave. Gloucester, ON
- June 22nd – Orléans, ON to Parliament Hill Ottawa
Meet at at 1pm at a 1:00pm at Rivierain Park (SW corner of Montreal Rd and North River Rd, just before the bridge to Rideau St), to join in with the walkers for the final 3km of the walk.
Or, be there to welcome the arrival on Parliament Hill at 2:00pm!
How to get involved
There are several ways you can get involved to support the Walk for Mother Earth:
- Join in for all or part of the walk beginning from Kanehsatà:ke on June 14th, or from one of the locations along the way! Contact Ashley Thackaberry: firstname.lastname@example.org or 647-204-1147 to work out details.
**see the comment on this post for a list of what to bring if you are going to join in on the walk
- Support the walk financially – you can make donations:
– via this PayPal link,
– or by e-transfer to email@example.com
- Help spread the word:
– share the link to this web page you’re currently visiting,
– or the walk’s Facebook page,
– or the Facebook event page for the June 22 arrival on Parliament Hill,
– or print flyers out that you can distribute.
- Join us on Parliament Hill at 2pm on June 22nd, 2014
For more information on “A Walk For Mother Earth”
The ‘Peoples For Mother Earth’ website will also be updated to include info on the continuing ‘A Walk For Mother Earth’ : www.peuplespourlaterremere.ca
& the Twitter hashtags will continue in use for both walks: #MarcheTerreMere, #MotherEarthMarch
Short documentary on the “Peoples for Mother Earth” walk (bilingual):
[vimeo 97895447 w=600 h=337]