URGENT: 4pm Wed Oct 1st deadline to register to speak or submit to the City of Ottawa Planning Committee, that is meeting Thurs Oct 2nd 9:30am at City Hall to consider a rezoning proposal for two of the islands in order to allow the Windmill condominium development
Continue reading / scrolling for registration instructions & background information, along with compelling new 10-min video of renowned Aboriginal architect Douglas Cardinal.
The Planning Committee will decide upon a recommendation to put forward for voting on by the full City council on Oct 8th, but there will be no opportunity for public input at the Oct 8th meeting.
Giving the go-ahead to building condominiums on these islands would detrimentally impact the ability to achieve the full vision of the late Algonquin spiritual leader Grandfather William Commanda for this religious / sacred site.
TO REGISTER: Contact Committee Coordinator, Christopher Zwierzchowski at 613-580-2424 extension 21359, in advance of the meeting, by at least 4:00 pm on Wednesday, to register to speak to the committee (presentations of 5 minutes maximum).
Or, you can email him a written submission, by the same deadline (or possibly anytime before midnight on Wed Oct 1st), at: firstname.lastname@example.org – also cc: email@example.com
OF NOTE: If a person or public body does not make oral submissions at the public meeting or make written submissions to the City of Ottawa before the proposed official plan amendment is adopted or the zoning by-law is passed, the person or public body is not entitled to appeal the decision of the Council of the City of Ottawa to the Ontario Municipal Board.
ALSO: Call or email your local councillor, especially if they are on the Planning Committee, to express your concern. Members of the Planning Committee are: Peter Hume, chair; Jan Harder, vice-chair; Stephen Blais; Rainer Bloess; Rick Chiarelli; Catherine Hobbs; Allan Hubley; Bob Monette; Shad Qadri; Tim Tierney. Contact information for councillors is at: http://ottawa.ca/en/city-council
BACKGROUND INFORMATION on Grandfather William Commanda’s vision for the Sacred Chaudière Site, and on the City’s rezoning proposal:
- Asinabka website: http://asinabka.com
- June 2014 update on the vision: https://ipsmo.wordpress.com/2014/06/22/william-commandas-vision-chaudiere/
- City of Ottawa official document for the current rezoning proposal: https://ipsmo.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/official-plan-and-zoning-3-and-4-booth-street-hieu-nguyen-letter.pdf
- Sample submission (2 1/2 pages) to the Committee, from Elise Mennie: https://ipsmo.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-sept23-asinabka-heritage-rom.docx
- Letter to Domtar Corporation, current lease holders for the lands in questions, which includes extensive background information, from Romola V. Thumbadoo, Coordinator, Circle of All Nations: https://ipsmo.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/2014-sept23-asinabka-heritage-rom.docx
VIDEO – Architect Douglas Cardinal explaining things (link to watch on youtube)