Movie Screening and Fund Raiser for the Algonquins of Barriere Lake
With special guests: Barriere Lake community members including Norm Matchewan and Elder Michel Thusky, and (via Skype) filmmaker Martha Stiegman
Tuesday, April 22 at 6:30pm (doors 6pm)
at the Mayfair Theatre
1074 Bank St. (near Sunnyside)
Buses # 1 & 7 (Bank) or # 5 (Riverdale)
Honour Your Word is a new documentary film – an intimate portrait of life behind the barricades for the Algonquins of Barriere Lake, an inspiring First Nation whose dignity and courage contrast sharply with the political injustice they face.
Presented in Ottawa by the Indigenous Peoples Solidarity Movement Ottawa, with Diffusion Multi-Monde and co-sponsors MiningWatch Canada, OPIRG-Carleton, OPIRG/GRIPO-Ottawa and OSSTF District-25 Human Rights / Status of Women Committee.
- The Mayfair Theatre has side entrances that are wheelchair accessible.
The washrooms are not, but Shoppers Drug Mart (located next door) does have accessible washrooms.
- Please refrain from wearing perfumes, colognes or other scented products
- Please contact us if you require ASL/LSQ
- Please contact us if you require bus tickets
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org – www.ipsmo.org
Please help us promote this event!
- RSVP and invite your friends on Facebook
- Send out an email with all this info, or the link to this page, to your contacts
- Print off posters – 8.5×11 letter size or 11×17 tabloid size – to put up somewhere good
- Print off 1/4-page flyers to hand out or leave out
- Help us fundraise for this event with this organizational request letter
Celebrating the Defense of Mother Earth!
This movie screening of Honour Your Word is the IPSM Ottawa’s 3rd “Earth Day” event Celebrating the Defense of Mother Earth!
Last year we were honoured to work with Defenders of the Land and Land Defenders from Six Nations and we raised $1405 for the legal defense of activists from Six Nations, and in 2009 we organized our 1st event with Minwaashin Lodge, the Tungasuvvingat Inuit, and others.
More about the movie – Honour Your Word (2013, 59min):
New Algonquin leaders are followed as their community fights to protect their land, their way of life and their language.
The title refers to the Algonquins of Barriere Lake’s campaign slogan demanding Canada and Quebec honour a precedent-setting conservation deal signed in 1991. Director Martha Stiegman spent four years shooting this poetic, heartfelt documentary that challenges stereotypes of “angry Indians.” Honour Your Word juxtaposes starkly contrasting landscapes—the majesty of the bush, a dramatic highway stand-off against a riot squad, daily life within the confines of the reserve—to reveal the spirit of a people for whom blockading has become a part of their way of life, a life rooted in the forest they are defending.
For more information:
- Flyers for printing (PDF: 1-pg doublesided) English version – French version