Gathering Knowledge Community Symposium
October 27, 2012 9am – 5pm
St. James Major Catholic Church Hall
Road 38 – Sharbot Lake, Ontario
Hosted by Ardoch Algonquin First Nation
Keynote Speaker– Bonita Lawrence
Author of : Fractured Homeland – Federal Recognition and Algonquin Identity in Ontario
Books will be available for purchase
9:00am Welcome – Mireille LaPointe, Robert Lovelace and Opening prayer by Elder Irene Lindsay
9:20am Panel 1: Setting the Stage for Community Well-being
- Regina Hartwick – Am I Omamawinini Enough?
- Susan Delisle – Education For and About Indigenous People that Works
- Marcie Webster- Aboriginal Early Learning Programs – A Community Approach
11:00 – Tom Pawlick, Author of The War in the Country – How the Fight to Save Rural Life Will Shape our Future
1:00 pm – Keynote Speaker: Bonita Lawrence, Author of Fractured Homeland – Federal Recognition and Algonquin Identity in Ontario.
2:15pm Panel 2: Certain Futures
- David Welch – Protecting the Land, Uranium exploration in the Frontenacs and the lessons learned.
- Paul McCarney – Understanding land and resource decision-making on Indigenous territories as an issue of original jurisdiction
- Robert Lovelace – Re-indigenizing the Commons
3:45pm Closing Comments and Closing Prayer