RESIST THE OLYMPICS TORCH RELAY IN OTTAWA
2pm, Sat Dec 12
Ottawa City Hall (between Laurier and Lisgar, Elgin and the canal)
Come help us show our opposition to the Vancouver Olympic Games!!
Meet at 2pm on Saturday at Ottawa City Hall
(not sure yet whether it’s Laurier or Lisgar side of the bldg)
A bit about the torch relay:
– The Olympic torch relay was an invention of the Nazis in Germany for the 1936 summer Olympics held in Berlin. It proved to be a propagandist’s dream, igniting nationalistic fever and pride in a receptive public. Not to be outdone in propagandandic posturing, the relay was renamed ‘Relay of Peace’ for the next summer Olympic games held in London in 1948.
A bit about the Olympics:
– The Olympic games are a multi-billion dollar industry backed by real estate, construction, hotel, tourism and media corporations, and powerful elites working hand in hand with government officials and the International Olympic Committee (IOC). While public pressure is unlikely to stop the 2010 Games from occupying Vancouver, critical resistance is needed to expose deceptions about the Games’ impact and purposes, voice our dissent to the world, and strengthen social movement solidarity.
- Top ten reasons to resist the Olympics
- Linchpin article – Social Cleansing: The First Olympic Event
- Flyer to be handed out – Front page – Back page